Friday 3 May 2013

Main Quest 002: {Injuries and Amazement} Oculus Rift - In Progress

Day 2 using the Oculus Rift - Injuries and Amazement


Tonight I decided to try the Sixense Tuscany Demo, it the exact same thing as the Tuscany demo, but it makes use of the Razer Hydra and enables you to interact with objects using the Razer Hydra!

Injuries? Yes during this demo I was trying to throw up barrels and successfully did a few times, when I started to fail, I tried to slap one of the barrels and whack, I hit the edge of my table with my thumb. Ironically that was what I probably would've felt if I slapped a real barrel with my thumb only slightly less pain. XD

After I was done patching myself up, I remember downloading a demo from the forums from a developer who not only was developing a demo for the Oculus Rift but also the creator of Legend of Dungeon (or someone who contributed), a robotloveskitty member or something.

The title of the post was "Rift + Hydra = Flying like a Hero" as you can see from the title, you can see from the title, its about flying using the Oculus Rift and the Razer Hydra. The world was also a Tron-like theme.

At first I was confused at the controls, thinking that just pressing down the triggers accelerates the character, but as usual I was wrong, so I looked back at the post and saw a flying lesson video (it wasn't there when I first downloaded it a while back). So then after watching a bit of it, I got a basic idea of how flying worked.

So controlling the character is quite simple but takes a bit of time getting used to, and to those who get airsick easily, I don't recommend you try this. You simply push or pull the analog stick to accelerate, press the triggers to go faster and you rotate and move your fists to move in a particular direction. You can apparently do rolls and stuff but I have yet to find out how to do it properly.

My experience of this demo was at first slow, just learning how to fly properly, but once I got the hang of it, I really felt like I was flying, it was like you are really in the air and while I was flying I breathed in then out after I went through a circle, and after going through all the circles I took a deep breath, just like I was there.

It felt like I was a kid pretending to fly around with his hands up in the air.

"Flying like a Hero" Demo: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=564

I'm hoping to try Half Life 2 VR, and maybe do a Let's Play of it, I still haven't finished all of it, so it'd be semi blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment