Wednesday 1 May 2013

Main Quest 002: {The Arrival} Oculus Rift - In Progress

Oculus Rift now in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!


After 9 months of waiting I have finally at long last got my Oculus Rift!

Here's a few unboxing photos!

The box that contains the future.


Top of the Oculus Rift case.


Bottom of the Oculus Rift's case.


The opened case of the Virtual Reality Headset.

My first day with the Oculus Rift

There it was, the Oculus Rift, finally in my hands (and head) I opened it up and found it came in a durable case which helps greatly because I was afraid it might be easily destroyed in my room. 

I then opened the flaps to the case and there it was.. The Oculus Rift all wrapped in plastic, waiting to be mounted on my head. But my first issue arrived, in regards to the AC power adapter, I looked first at what I first thought, just a AUS plug adapter, I was trying to pry it open thinking it was covered by a lid, then I looked at the actual AC power adapter and saw that the plug was removable *face palm*.

Now that I finally fixed that issue I plugged all the things in and powered it on, a few new issues arrive. The lenses were soo close that I felt my eyelashes pressing against them, I turned the screws on the sides but nothing happened.. Until I decide to turn it the other way *face palm again*.

Issue solved! Shouldn't be more issues right? Nope, still a few more but this time it wasn't my stupidity! (Yay!). I tried playing TF2 but a black screen appeared after the loading screen, it was then I found out that you had to change the resolution settings to either make the Oculus Rift the main view, or Duplicate the views. HOWEVER since my laptop didn't support the same resolution of the Oculus Rift (1280 x 800 I believe) I had to Extend Displays and set the Oculus Rift as the main one, the only downside is that I had to launch everything via the Oculus Rift display, which doesn't display all of the desktop and quite an eye strain.

That looks like all the issues right? No.
I felt slightly motion sick after using them for around 20 min or more and I read somewhere that they recommended to use it in 10 minute intervals or something like that, which would mean it was mostly my fault. 

Another issue, is my laptop, which I believed wiped off a few frames while using the Oculus Rift which could of increased my motion sickness, I'm looking to invest for a better laptop or even a desktop, however since I have no income I cannot really do so.

Finally my last issue which is to do with in-game is that I cannot see distant objects properly, it looks quite blurry for me, I have perfect vision, so I believe it could be a calibration issue or even possibly a technical issue. I'm currently looking into solving this problem.

Well despite all these issues, I still somewhat felt immersed and I'm hoping to fix all these problems in the future!

Edit: After a little more tinkering and closer observation, I discovered that the cause of my motion sickness was not the Oculus Rift itself, it was camera, rotating the camera with a mouse or analog stick gave me a weird motion feeling. And the blurry of distant objects was mostly fixed by some tinkering.

No comments:

Post a Comment